Monday, May 4, 2009

I talked Friday night with a young person, 16 years old, who was suffering from very low feelings. I talked, she just looked down at her book. Actually I did not talk much because it seemed there was no way to reach her. She was recently released from the hospital and is medicated. I did get a chance to talk to her mother on Sunday after church. The girl has been diagnosed with Bi-polar disorder and suffers from mood swings. Also it seems like she is suffering from stigma which only makes her lowered feelings lower. There is a program for teens in Chicago, Power to Change, that could help this girl. Unfortunately it is not in the Cleveland area yet. It is unfortunate that our society is so afraid of mental illness, even mild depression, that we do not address it. Erectile Dysfunction gets more publicity than the slightest emotional disorder like anger management for instance. What does that say about our society?

No comments:

Post a Comment